Growing health therapeutic gardening and nature coordinator is expected to engage individuals and family as people with full competence and as full collaborators in community gardening planning, implementation and organize related mini workshops and nature activities in St. John’s, NL. This work starts early May 2012 for six months with possible extension depending on funding.
– Experience working with persons with a diagnosed mental illness, preferably in a skill development or residential environment or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
– Therapeutic rehabilitation Course.
– Valid First Aid Certificate and CPR.
– Current driver’s license.
– May be required to use personal vehicle at work.
– Must have a Criminal Record Check
-Eligibility for employment grant an asset (such as NL Works)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
– Ability to work independently with teens with complex mental health needs.
– Previous experience in food gardening and the environment
– A basic knowledge about food gardening – planting, tending, caring and harvesting including knowledge of different plants and vegetables and their required growing conditions
– Enthusiasm for acquiring and sharing gardening knowledge and skills
– Likes to work outside
– Ability to organize work and prioritize.
– Demonstrated ability to teach in-group and one-to-one settings.
– Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
– Good time management skills.
– Knowledge of psychiatric disorders, medications and side effects.
– Knowledge of psychosocial rehabilitation.
– Ability to assess situations and diffuse crisis incidents.
– Physical ability to perform the duties of the position, (good level of fitness)
– Ability to work effectively with others.
– Ability to operate related equipment.
– Must be able to work flexible hours.
•Sound judgment and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
•High level of initiative and self-motivation.
•Self-awareness and self-management.
•An interest in life-long learning along with empathy and insight.
•Flexible and adaptable.
Resume and three references should be received by 27 April 2012. Interviews to be scheduled the following week. Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org