JOIN THE POWERSHIFT ORGANIZING TEAM AS A VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR!
Volunteer Position: National Volunteer Coordinator(s)
Location: Across Canada
Duration: 10 hrs/week from May-October, increasing as we get closer to Powershift
Closing date for applications: May 11, 2012
Powershift Canada is a gathering for and by youth that will bring 1500 people from diverse backgrounds together to build a movement for climate and environmental justice. It will be taking place from October 26th to October 29th in Ottawa and will look at the intersections between environmental and social justice issues, build skills for collective action, and be a space for engaged youth to network and learn from each other.
If you want to be a part of building a Canadian climate justice movement, this is an incredible opportunity for youth from across the country to come together, mobilize, and learn, to ultimately go back to their own communities and affect change.
We’re well into the organizing process and looking for a few enthusiastic and organized individuals from across the country to coordinate our volunteers.
Your responsibilities will include:
- refining our volunteer engagement strategy;
- working with working group bottomliners to identify gaps and needs;
- recruiting volunteers with specific skillsets to fill gaps and needs in the organizing process;
- working with working group bottomliners to orient new volunteers;
- developing materials and trainings to support volunteers.
- are able to work on a team and to work independently;
- are approachable, enthusiastic, supportive, patient with others;
- are comfortable delegating and sharing responsibility;
- are able to deal with ambiguity and effectively cope with changing situations;
- are a clear communicator who can maintain dialogue with others about their needs;
- have a good understanding of group dynamics;
- have excellent interpersonal skills;
- have previous experience working with youth between the ages of 15-30;
- have proven skills in recruiting, engaging, and organizing volunteers;
- have a demonstrated commitment to climate justice,
Then we’d love for you to apply to coordinate volunteers at Powershift Canada!
Powershift Canada welcomes the contributions that individuals from marginalized communities bring to our organization, and invites Indigenous/First Nations people, people of colour, women, gays, lesbians, bisexuals, queer-oriented people, transgendered/gender-variant people, single parents, members of ethnic minorities, immigrants and people with disabilities to apply.
For more information: Contact Amara or Tasha at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply: Send 300 words, describing why you would like to coordinate volunteers and what skills and experience you bring to the position, to email@example.com by Friday, May 11 2012.