EMPLOYMENT / CONTRACT OPPORTUNITY
International Project Manager(s) United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF)
UNFF Major Group Initiative Forest Workshop
May 2012 – September 2012
Deadline for application: May 9, 12 pm, EDT
Position: International Project Manager(s)
Project: United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF) — UNFF Major Group Initiative Forest Workshop
Organization: The Canadian Environmental Network (RCEN)
Location: anywhere in Canada (from home or at our office in Ottawa)
Contract dates: May 2012 — September 2012
Deadline: May 9, 2012, 12:00 EDT.
The Canadian Environmental Network (RCEN) is seeking to contract a Project Manager to manage all activities related to the United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF) Project, “Intensifying Major Groups Involvement in the Implementation of UNFF Decisions,” on behalf of the RCEN. The RCEN is the lead organising NGO for the Project. There is potential for this work to be split into two contracts based on pre- and post-event activities (lead-up work done in Canada and activities done in Brazil and followup).
The UNFF Major Groups (MG) (see: http://www.mgi-forests.org/home) are hosting a preparatory workshop for UNFF 10 (Turkey 2013). The workshop will take place in Teresópolis, Brazil between 13-17 June 2012, at the same time as RIO+20. The theme for the workshop is “Forests and Economic Development: Positioning Forests to Contribute to Green Economy.” The workshop will bring together approximately 100 participants from the Major Groups. The required outcomes are (1) draft recommendations to UNFF 10, (2) draft inputs for MG paper to UNFF 10, and (3) implementation of a side event at RIO+20.
The upcoming Rio+20 Earth Summit will have two major themes: Green Economy; and an Institutional Framework for Sustainable Development. While the Green Economy theme focuses on sustainable development in the context of poverty eradication, the theme of Institutional Framework for Sustainable Development will address global governance issues.
The contract will run from early May through 30 September 2012. The contractor(s) will be under the direction of the RCEN. Contract value up to $20,000, depending upon qualifications.
All applicants please respond to Maggie Paquet, Acting Chair, RCEN at actingchair @rcen.ca*
Deadline: May 9, 2012, 12:00 EDT.
• Administrative experience, including budgeting and financial record-keeping
• Working knowledge of the RCEN
• Familiarity with forest issues
• Project leadership and coordination
• International experience
• Consensus building ability
• Facilitation experience
• Writing ability
• Ability to act independently, but maintain regular communications with RCEN
• Event management
• Website management
Related tasks include:
1. Administrative — ensure accommodations and travel, coordination of participants travel and accommodation, reporting, budget management.
2. Event Management — determine flow of event, coordinate presenters, liaise with venue to ensure all necessary materials for successful event are on site, transportation for participants to and from hotel to venue.
3. Documents – expected that up to three draft documents (including concrete recommendations for UNFF 10 and inputs for joint Major Groups paper for UNFF 10) are to be produced with input and guidance from the UNFF Major Groups Steering Committee and with oversight by the RCEN.
1. Successful candidate will be required to travel to Brazil.
2. Draft documents are required to be completed and submitted by September 15, 2012.